As we venture deep into High School swimming coverage this year, Florida Swim Network is proud to introduce a new series; “The FHSAA Swimmers’ Of The Week”, sponsored by Born To Swim. It’s pretty self-explanatory… we want to shed some light on athletes who are doing outstanding things in the pool! This coverage can range anywhere from incredible team performances on relays, to individual bests by swimmers all across the state, from any district/region/class.
Throughout the course of the season, we will choose our Top 5 performances of the week, and share them on the site. Keep an eye out, and feel free to send us recommendations on who YOU think had one of the best performances of the week. Born To Swim will also be sending our winners some awesome prizes—so we do ask that each winner reaches out to us on one of our social media accounts.
This weeks swimmers didn’t let Hurricane Irma bring them down as they stormed their way through the pool to bring home countless victories from various areas of the state. Here’s who made the list!
WEEK 2 WINNERS:
- Ryan Ackerson: Swimming for Seminole against Oviedo and New Smyrna, Ackerson finished first in the 50 FR and 100 FR. Ackerson also helped lead the Noles to a victory in the 400FR Relay and in the 200FR Relay, giving him a total of four separate wins in one night – a truly remarkable performance.
- Brandon Cheong: This Buchholz breaststroker had quite a meet, finishing first in the 100BR and second in the 200IM. Cheong had an impressive breaststroke race, swimming a 58.45 – an incredible drop from a 59.90, a time more than likely to place in the top 8 at the FHSAA Championships in November.
- Jeremy Rockaway: An Oviedo beast, Rockaway found his way through a competitive dual, to two individual wins in the 200IM and in the 100FL. Jeremy also put up a solid 21.85 split in the 200FR Relay and a 24.03 Fly split in the 200 Medley Relay.
- Talia Bates: Brought home two individual wins for Buchholz, winning the 100Fr and the 200IM with a 51.79 and a 2:06.51, respectively – impressive times for an in-season meet.
- Christin Rockway: One of the biggest stars of the week, bringing home two golds with an impressive meet record of 2:01.39 in the 200IM, followed by a 56.50 in the 100 Fly. This Indiana recruit led the Tampa Catholic team through the meet.
About our sponsor: ‘Born To Swim, Accessories For swimmers’. Born To Swim produces high-quality swimming products that are created for swimmers, by swimmers.
Together, Born To Swim and Florida Swim Network are aiming to become more actively involved in the performances of great athletes. We know how much hard work and commitment it takes to perform well, and we want to make sure the athletes are commended for their efforts on a larger, and more public scale. Stay tuned for our weekly lists, and to all Florida swimmers—GOOD LUCK!
Written by Ryan Gibbons
Edited by Kahlia Warner
You can follow Born To Swim on the following social media platforms