Lynn Swimming Competes in Final Regular Season Meet
By Chad Beattie
Melbourne, Fla. – Lynn University’s swimming team competed in its final meet of the regular season in hopes of tuning up for the Sunshine State Conference. The Fighting Knights were downed by Saint Leo but knocked off host Florida Tech.
INSIDE THE MEET:
Location: Panthers Aquatic Center | Melbourne, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter – @Lynn_Knights | Instagram – @Lynn_Knights | Facebook – /LynnFightingKnights
How it Happened:
- Lynn took first place in five events and earned a runner-up finish in eight events.
- Catalina Berraud Galea claimed first place in the 1650 freestyle (17:53.09) by over 30 seconds and the 500 free (5:15.20).
- Rebecca Matthews lost her first two events of the season when she finished runner-up to Saint Leo’s Nicole Weber in the 100 breaststroke (1:04.54) and 400 individual medley (4:34.23) but tapped the wall first in the 100 free in a time of 53.94.
- Thalie Carmigniani earned one first place finish (200 free) and was runner-up in two events (100 & 200 backstroke).
- Megan Carlson was final winner for the Fighting Knights, taking first in the 200 butterfly (2:08.98). The freshman also was the runner-up in the 100 fly (59.17) and third-place finisher in the 400 IM (4:41.56).
- Kasey Swartley was Lynn’s top swimmer in the 50 free (26.38).
- Tieri Erasito (200 fly) and Desiree Priemayr (200 breast) earned runner-up finishes for the Fighting Knights.
- Lynn finished second in the 400 medley relay (3:59.32) and was third in the 400 free relay (3:49.24)
- Total Times:
- 1650 Free: Galea (17:53.09-1st), Hannah Walsh (19:47.40-4th), Alanna Carey (19:56.54-5th)
- 200 Free: Carmigniani (1:54.90-1st), Swartley (1:59.81-3rd)
- 100 back: Carmigniani (59.16-2nd), Kaitlin Armstrong (1:04.38-6th)
- 100 breast: Matthews (1:04.54-2nd), Priemayr (1:09.74-3rd), Calerie Samaniego (1:14.71-5th), Caroline Shifley (1:25.56-8th)
- 200 fly: Carlson (2:08.98-1st), Erasito (2:12.44-2nd)
- 50 free: Swartley (26.38-5th), Armstrong (26.39-6th)
- 100 free: Matthews (53.94-1st), Swartley (57.08-5th)
- 200 back: Carmigniani (2:05.06-2nd), Carey (2:23.88-5th)
- 200 breast: Priemayr (2:28.05-2nd), Samaniego (2:42.61-5th)
- 500 free: Galea (5:15.20-1st), Walsh (5:50.40-5th)
- 100 fly: Carlson (59.17-2nd), Erasito (1:00.49-3rd)
- 400 IM: Matthews (4:34.23), Carlson (4:41.56-3rd), Priemayer (X4:49.12), Galea (X4:54.74)
Beyond the Boxscore:
- Carlson has now won an event in three consecutive meets.
- Matthews has gone 13-2 in competition this season.
- Matthews claimed an NCAA ‘B’ cut time in the 100 breaststroke.
Lynn begins competition in the 2016 Sunshine State Conference Championship on Wednesday, Feb. 17, until Saturday, Feb. 20, in Orlando, Fla.
Florida Swim Network