Two former All-American swimmers, Caroline Burckle (2005-08) and Kristen Linehan Omli (1988-91), were named to the 2018 UF Athletic Hall of Fame class announced Monday by the University of Florida F Club and Gator Boosters, Inc.
The induction ceremony for the nine-member class is Friday, Nov. 2 at Exactech Arena at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center.
Caroline Burckle (2005-08):
- 2008 Honda Award for swimming
- 2008 NCAA Swimmer of the Year
- 2008 NCAA 200- and 500-yard free champion
- 23-time All-American
- Five-time SEC individual champion and member of three SEC champion relays
- 2008 Olympic bronze medalist as member of U.S. 800-meter free relay
Kristen Linehan Omli (1988-91):
- Claimed NCAA 100- and 200-yard backstroke titles in 1989 and 1990
- Member of NCAA champion 400-medley (1989) and 200-medley (1990) relay teams
- 13-time All-American
- Three-time SEC 100 back champion (1989, ’90, ’91) and two-time SEC 200 back champion (1990, ’91), also part of three SEC champion relay teams
In addition, Caeleb Dressel and Alex McMurtry will be honored as the 2017 Ben Hill Griffin Award Winners, honoring the top male and female student-athlete for the calendar year.
Each year, the F Club Committee selects members to the Hall of Fame, divided into three different categories: Gator Greats, Distinguished Letterwinners and Honorary Letterwinners.
This year’s class includes eight Gator Greats and one Honorary Letterwinner (Richard Giannini).
A Gator Great is a letterwinner who has brought recognition and prominence to the University and themselves by athletic accomplishments as a student-athlete. An Honorary Letterwinner is a coach or athletic official (after retirement) who were not letterwinners or athletes at the University of Florida, yet have rendered outstanding service to the program through personal time, effort, interest.
Below is the full list of the Gators being inducted into the Hall of Fame:
Nekita Beasley – Track/Cross Country (1991-92)
Caroline Burckle – Swimming (2005-08)
Stephanie Freeman Echarte – Soccer (2001-04)
Kristen Linehan Omli – Swimming (1988-91)
Angie McGinnis – Volleyball (2004-07)
Reggie Nelson – Football (2005-06)
Lito Sheppard – Football (1999-01)
Josh Walker – Track & Field (2002-05)
Richard Giannini –Assistant Sports Information Director (1966- 70), Senior Associate Athletics Director – External Affairs (1979-1986)